Portmanteau, a French word for something similar to a coat tree where you can hang several articles of clothing. Portmanteau is now also an English word for suitcase. It’s rather common these days to also associate portmanteau with word combinations. For example, we take the words Nutrition and Pharmaceuticals and combine them into the one word “nutraceuticals,” a portmanteau you will find in this blog and many others!
For example, an excellent report by Julie Dennis on Nutraceuticals World states “Despite globalization issues, scientific validation concerns, potentially restrictive regulations, rocky economic and an uneasy healthcare system, the dietary supplement market continues to grow.”
- Growth is despite factors that either support or threaten its growth.
- The U.S. supplement industry is estimated at 25 billion.
- Dietary supplements grew 10% in the mass market.
- What factors are driving the nutraceutical numbers:
- Folks without insurance are trying to find affordable ways of staying healthy
- The Baby Boomers are anxious to remain healthy and vital despite entering the graying years.
- Pharmaceuticals in and of themselves are reporting too many adverse side effects.
- People disappointed with health care system in general are taking control of their own dietary decisions.
Nutrition by means of natural sources.